Roe Valley Cycling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roe Valley Cycling Club

Race , touring & mtb

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Winter MTB League 09

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Keith

Winter MTB League 09 Empty
PostSubject: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 1:20 am

The winter MTB League runs over four rounds being held in Castle Park Bangor. We will have some club members going. Why not give it a go it will be fun with a fast and not very technical course. Contact me if you want more info.

Winter MTB League 09 Xmtb12

Last edited by Keith on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Five of us arrived at a rather bitter Casle Park Bangor. Not technical but fast and open i had stated from my fading memory of racing at castle park in 1989 (i think). That was the first mistake of many. Just keeping the bike upright proved a chalenge most failed at. Mostly greasy, gloopy and often off camber single track for ten laps was the senior race. Eight for u16 and 2 for u12.

Hannah was first up and dug deep to clamber round the two laps of the full course which was a good effort given her inexperience.

Kyle Cole was next up 1 minute in front of the seniors i the under 16 class. Much to his frustration after a good start his biKE ground to a halt after 3 laps when in 3rd. The gloop ( nearly like wet pottery clay ) jammed his rear triangle he tried to clear it and ride on but the bike was unridable.

Mountain bikers Bobby Smyth and Aaron Hanna - and new RVCC members joined me in the senior race. There was quite a few entrants which made the lap of the bmx track at the start hectic. We all got round with quite a few incidents on the way. Bobby winded himself at one point. I hit the deck infront of a group of spectators. Aaron rode strongly cutting through the mid field only to have a mechanical with a couple of laps to go limping home having to ride big gears.

We had a lot of fun - worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Take a look mostly madigan footage but a few RVCC jerseys on show. This gives an idea of how tricky it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW2mlasLoBE&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Shirley Park

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:57 am

Hi I am not a member of any bike club at the min, I live in Coleraine and do a bit of road biking but mostly do mtb I have did some of the Dromara CC trailquest's, and fancy giving mtb winter league a go, I dont drive so would be very greatfull if anyone could car share if they have a free space and are planning on going to this on sunday. P.S do I need a race license for these? Tanks Shirley.
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 10:20 am

Just for information - all events promoted under Cycling Ireland (which we are an affiliated club) require a licence. A day licence is possible but expensive due to the insurance cover needed. A non-club member day licence is £20. A licence to cover all mtb racing will cover all club racing and sportive events. But not open road races. For more info on licence pricing or info contact George Boyd or Keith Sharp
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Rd 2 myself and bobby headed to a fairly bright bangor . This time it was the first rounds course in reverse. We both changed tyres going for a wider and rougher tread - which work as good as it could in the sludge. Near 50 riders again turned the already soft track into a mud bath. Staying upright was a feat in itself. Bobby rode hard with few mishaps and gained valuable experience and fnishing well. I got off to a pretty good start but quickly struggled with gear selection and then the jockey wheels started jamming causing a couple of get offs. Until i think with a lap to go the bike was unridable so i headed the coffee cart to drown my sorrows. Well organised event again. With two rounds still to go why not give it a bash ?

Take a look
http://flickr.com/photos/70516224@N00/sets/72157612985932498/detail/
Back to top Go down
Shirley Park

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Think looking at the days pictures im counting my blessings I didn't get going....!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mercian man

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 am

Castle park tends to be very mucky after wet weather !
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris531/
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 3:23 am

Round 3 cancelled due to weather and to prevent damage to park.

Taken from Cycling Ulster:

We have just received notification that due to the adverse weather conditions and on the advice of North Down Council that the third round of the very popular Bangor Winter League promoted by XMTB McConvey Cycles due to take place this Sunday, has had to be cancelled. Discussions are currently underway regarding Round 4. If poor weather conditions persist the club may consider postponement until the end of February. The off road club, XMTB Mc Convey Cycles, are very much aware of their responsibility in preserving our parks and are to be congratulated on their Conservationist approach. Cycling Ulster would like to thank them on taking such a responsible action and we hope that the weather will allow this event to proceed. It is a great avenue to encourage both young and old to enjoy cycling in safe, off road conditions. We will keep you informed of any changes.</FONT>
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:50 am

The final round of the winter mtb league will be on Sunday 15th March 2009 at Castle Park, Bangor. Due to the terrible weather and damage to the course rounds 23 & 4 were cancelled. Xmtb will now promote one final round this sunday. These are well organised fun events.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter MTB League 09   Winter MTB League 09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter MTB League 09
Page 1 of 1